About infertility

About infertility

The term “infertility” is generally used for couples that fail to conceive after one year of unprotected sexual intercourse. “Sterility” is a term used for couples that stand no chance to conceive a baby.


According to international studies, it is estimated that 1 out of 6 or 7 couples faces infertility problems.


Infertility has a strong impact on a psychological and social level. However, currently there are a number of treatments with high chances of success, which can help you fulfill your dream of having a baby.


MedLife Infertility and Assisted Reproductive Medicine Centre offers a complex approach, based on diagnosis evidence and specific treatment. Our centre’s team is formed of nationally and internationally trained specialists who will assist you on every step of this experience.


The reproductive process


The conception of a child is based on the merging of two cells, an ovule and a spermatozoid. A woman is born with a certain number of egg cells found in a microscopic cyst formation, called follicle. Every menstrual cycle, 10 to 20 follicles start developing. One single follicle matures and breaks releasing the egg cell (process called ovulation). After a sexual intercourse in this period, some mobile spermatozoids can get into the uterine tube and meet the ovule. If the fecundation takes place, the formed egg migrates for 5-6 days through the uterine tube, then enters into the uterus and gets implanted.


Symptoms of infertility


A fertile couple with regular sexual activity has a monthly chance of 15-20% of conception. After a year, 80% of the couples manage to conceive. The rest 20% are considered infertile. 


Infertility affects 10-15% couples of reproductive age, and it should be taken into consideration if after 1 year of unprotected sexual activity of the couple, conception hasn’t taken place. An early evaluation is done for: women past the age of 35, women with irregular menstruation, with a historic of pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, when spermogram modifications are observed.